It’s the beginning of a new year and with it comes a clean slate and the opportunity to create and live your best life in 2018. It’s the traditional “goal-setting” time of the year.
Unfortunately - according to the US News - statistics show that 80% fall off of the proverbial goal bandwagon by the second week of February.
So how do you avoid becoming a statistic? Last year I read a very helpful article by Martha Beck on this very issue where she recommends assembling a “Fellowship of the Resolution.” She offers great insight into why folks abandon their New Year’s resolutions and she shares a wonderful solution in terms of developing a support network. Check it out here!
Now that you understand the reality behind the statistics, let’s work on setting your big, audacious goals - and set systems in place to keep you on the accomplishment track!
First - a helpful tip you begin to set goals and reassess those you committed to a week ago - remember to keep them SMART:
Goal Setting Exercise for 2018
The exercise below is designed to get you thinking, dreaming and showing up in a BIG way this year. Clear some time in your calendar to really dive in and work thru the following questions as you identify what you REALLY want in this New Year. Do the exercise keeping both your personal and professional lives in mind.
1. Create a cozy, inspiring environment for completing this exercise. Have several sheets of paper on hand as well a mug of hot tea or a glass of wine. Allow yourself to freely dream BIG and see what emerges.
2. Spend 10 - 20 minutes writing down or drawing out your biggest, wildest goals for your life. Include both short-term and long term goals. Use the following questions as prompts to get your creativity going:
3. After 10 - 20 minutes, look through all that you brainstormed and use a highlighter to highlight those goals that are most important to you and that will have the BIGGEST impact on your life this year.
4. Next, take each goal that you highlighted and put that goal at the top of it’s own sheet of paper. Now spend 5-10 minutes listing out WHY that goal is important to you. Do this for each or your top goals. Here are some prompts that may help:
5. Once you have your WHY listed for each of your top goals - highlight the top reasons why each goal is important. Choose 3 - 5. Grab a separate piece of paper and list out your top reasons WHY for all of your top goals (those that you just highlighted) so you have you them in one place. Keep this in a spot where you can see it every day to check in and keep the vision for why you are doing what you are doing in your life and in your business.
6. Now spend time with each of your top goals for the year and brainstorm every possible step that you can imagine that it will take to bring that goal to fruition - both big and small. Break it down. When we break a goal down into small, actionable steps we can prioritize those that need to be completed first and create a quarterly timeline for the year and then a monthly timeline. It really helps to take a big, hairy, audacious goal and chunk it down so that we don’t become paralyzed by overwhelm.
7. Then one step at a time, block out space on your calendar during the coming year to tackle these individual steps toward your top goals. Re-visit the process quarterly to stay on track and to stay in touch with your WHY.
8. This last step is super important: Assemble your fellowship. If you haven’t taken the time to read the article mentioned at the top, do so now. Assembling your support network to help hold you accountable is a crucial piece of the goal setting process that most overlook, hence the 80% fail rate for New Year’s resolutions. Having support with the going gets tough and the motivation wanes will help keep you on track to achieving your biggest goals. So call up a friend, co-worker, colleague, family member and discuss a framework for holding one another accountable. This could be via weekly phone calls, email check-in’s, quarterly coffee dates, etc. Whatever works for you and your accountability partner - and remember to sprinkle some fun and celebration in as you accomplish each step in your plan!
Would you benefit from extra support and accountability as you tackle your outline for the New Year? I’d love to partner with you to create your BEST life in 2018. Fill out this short form to schedule a consultation.
Now comment below with your top goal for 2018. Put it out there and make it REAL.
Coach - Speaker